Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Memories from Jamshedpur (TataNagar) - Part 2 (Family + some special occassions)

As mentioned in the first part of this post, my father lived most of his life in Jamshedpur (served by the TataNagar Junction Railway Station), working at Tata Steel, and spoke very fondly of his life there, particularly his friends. I myself have good memories of the 2 schools I attended there, Hill Top and Loyola, and our trips to the factory during Vishvakarma Puja, Telco Stadium, the neighbourhoods of Sakchi, Bistapur, etc,. and places like Jubilee Park and  Dimna Lake

Appa's photo albums were filled with hundreds of photos of his Jamshedpur life, and even during my 2022 trip to India, I discovered a few envelopes where more photos were stashed, with one of them having his handwritten label "Seshagiri's Jamshedpur life".

If I am not mistaken, in their early years in Jamshedpur, the family was near the Telco Club, in K3/52, Telco, Jamshedpur. I have attached a picture of one of his photo album covers that has this address

and also a photo with the caption "Official residence of the photographer"

Sadly, I don't think we ever visited this place, and the family shifted to the KDFlats (near the Shiksha Niketan school),  where we spent the early years of my childhood. I think the flats have been demolished completely and there is new construction in its place :-( However, thankfully, there are  large number of photos, both from school  (many group photos) and KDFlats and trips to nearby places.

It is not possible to post all of his photos here :-), but I post a few starting with one I found in Malini Manni's collection, which I have never seen before, and is of PaaTi, Manimma, Amma, and Baby Athai.

(L2R): Manimma, Paati, Amma, Baby Athai - K3/52

two photos of Raja Anna taken in 1956, one with the Telco Mess committee !.


and a third one, I'm guessing during his college years at Patna Medical College

Raja Anna and friends (other details unknown)

Early Jamshedpur years (Shankara Jayanti, Carnatic concert, Pithukuli Murugadas)

Shankara Jayanti, Golmuri 1956

Konerirajapuram Shri Devaraja Bhagavatar, Shankara Jayanti, 1956

107th Rama Pattabhishekam

Pithukuli Murugadas, K3/52

Perippa, Ambi Anna, Mythili Akka & Raja Anna + unidentified others

Thiruveesainallur Subramaniam (?), with Appa on tambura, 1956

Srikanth's Ayushya Homam (Andiniravu) - 1979

Ayushya Homam

(L2R) Amma (with Srikanth), Manima, Sriram, Sridhar & Perippa

(L2R): Sridhar, Bhaskar, Srikanth (on floor), Rajiv & Sriram

Amma, Perippa & Srikanth

Amma, Srikanth, Sridhar & Sriram

(L2R): Sridhar, Rajiv & Sriram - KD Flats, Telco Colony, 1979

I will post more pictures from Appa's early Jamshedpur years (work and family friends, co-workers) in Part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment